We often think of elitism as relating only to knowledge or money. This “us vs them” superiority complex can be found in several areas:
- Money Snob: people with less money just didn’t work hard enough.
- Nationalist: your country is better then other countries.
- Racist: your race is the superior one. The others races just don’t seem to get it.
- Sexist: the gender you belong to is superior. Period.
- Music Snob: your musical tastes place you into a higher league. You despise what is popular or playing on the radio.
- Movie Snob: The blockbusters are not for you. Your acute sense of aesthetics make you prefer a black and white Swedish documentary about a midlife crisis over the latest Hollywood popular hit. You look down on people who like action movies.
- Technology Snob: your choices of technology define you as superior to the mass (your computer’s operating system, your speakers’ brand, etc). You are willing to pay 4 times more for a specific brand, even if people tell you they are all made from the same parts.
- Clothes/accessories Snob: This Gucci purse or that Armani suit sets you apart from the crowd of the Wal-Mart slobs.
- Car Snob: Your BMW or Audi is not JUST a transportation device; it defines you as a person.
- Drink Snob: the wine you drink clearly makes you more sophisticated. The price is an indication of the content and he level of refinement of the person drinking it.
- Education Snob: the school you went to not only gave you better knowledge, connections and overall intellectual growth, it also made you a better human a superior one.
- Book Snob: the classics you read raised the bar of your intellect to such a level that you look down on the Cro-Magnons who cannot quote Plato.
- Worship / Afterlife Snob: the brand of religion you chose makes you purer or more righteous and eventually holder of a better afterlife plan than most people.
- Adrenaline Snob: You don’t understand why those wusses don’t all base jump, backyard wrestle or street luge on the week-end.
Which of those groups are you part of?